How to create items, job items or register defects
Items are based on designs within your system, which determine the details that are required for an item. There is a set of standard designs within Alloy that allow you to start creating items straight away. You can create custom designs, which allow you to create items as well.
When you access the system you can use the search panel to look at a list of available designs.
The Designer module allows you to create items based on any standard or custom design within the system.
You may also have modules that allow you to create specific types of items in just a few quick steps, for example, Street lights.
For modular items that consist of more than one item you can add components to a parent item, for example where a street light includes a controller, bracket and lantern.
Alloy assigns new items against the nearest network section by default.
Depending on your permission settings, you may not be able to create items. Contact your administrator for assistance.
Creating an item
The following procedure describes how to create an item from the Designer module. This procedure is similar for items created from within other modules, for example Street lights. When you begin to create an item from the Designer module, Alloy guides you through a series of steps customised to ensure you enter data required for the item.
There are four key steps to creating an item from the Designer module:
- Selecting a design - this is mandatory
- Entering item details - this is mandatory and determined by the design you select
- Selecting a location - the design you select determines whether a geometry type is required
- Selecting Parents - this is optional and allows component items to be linked to parent items.
Selecting a design
You must initially select a design that the item that you are creating is going to be based on. The subsequent steps are determined by the design that you select.
From the dashboard select the Designer module.
Select Create item, the Item creation process page is displayed on the left.
Depending on the design, some steps may be optional. For items that have geometry see Geometry types.
- Select step , the Design selection page is displayed. This allows you to define the type of item that you are creating.
Use the following fields to define the item:
Design - Select this field to display a dialog that allows you to select a design that will define the item type that you are creating.
Collection - Select this field to display a dialog that allows you to select the collection that the item belongs to. The list of available collections is dependent on the design that you selected and includes one or all of the following collections:
- Template - When you select this field a dialog displays the list of available template items associated with the selected design. This field is only available for designs that support templates and if template items already exist.
When you have completed all the necessary fields, select Next and move to the next step.
The first step of the process indicates that it is complete.
Entering item details
The next step requires you to enter some item details.
- Select step , the Details page is displayed similar to that shown below. The details required for the item will vary depending on the design you previously selected. Mandatory fields are displayed at the top of the Details page. These can include custom fields and standard fields that are defined by the design for the item type.
Certain designs include additional fields that your processes may require you to complete. Select Show options to display the optional fields.
Select Next when you have completed all the details that are required.
The second step of the process indicates that it is complete.
Adding an item location
The need for an item to have a location can be determined by the design. When the item requires a location step indicates this.
If there is no need for a location this step is not available.
For items that require a location select step . The Geometry page is displayed.
If the item that you are creating requires a location, the drawing tools at the bottom of the map indicate the type of geometry available that you can use to place the item on the map. See Geometry types.
When you have completed placing the item on the map select Next.
The third step of the process indicates that it is complete.
Creating an item as a component
If the item you are creating is a component item and the parent item has already been created you can link the item to the parent.
- Select step , the Parents to link to page is displayed. This allows you to link the item to a parent item.
- Select the button, the Parent page is displayed.
Use the following fields to define the parent item that you are linking the component to.
- Design - Select this field to display a dialog that allows you to select the design of the parent item that you are linking to. The list of available designs is defined by the design of the component item that you are creating.
- Item - This field is only available when you have previously selected a design. Select this field to display a dialog that allows you to select a parent item. The items listed are limited by the design you previously selected.
- Attribute - When you selected the parent design this field displays the default attribute that the component item is linked to. You can select this field to display the available attributes within the item parent item design you selected.
- When you have completed all the necessary fields, select Add. The Parents to link to page is displayed and the parent item is listed. You can link a component item to more than one parent if the need arises.
- When you have completed linking the component to a parent select Next. The fourth step of the process indicates that it is complete.
For custom items that include components, see also Adding item components.
Completing the item
When you have completed all the required steps for the item that you are creating select Next. A notification is displayed to indicate that the item was created successfully.
Creating multiple items
The notification provides you with the option to create another item with similar settings. If you select Create another, a new item creation process is started. The Item creation process page is displayed on the left.
The steps that were completed for the previously created item are shown as complete. You can change setting within each step if required. This allows you to create multiple items of the same type quickly.